Thursday, April 12, 2007

Non-place....or place...

For my blog post today, I am re-writing some notes I took of the non-place I chose to view- Charley's on State St. I decided to use this place for a variety of reasons, mainly because it's convenient for me, but also because I work there. In using this place for my blog post (when I got off of work) I could see the fine line that is drawn between a place and a non-place, something that I never really thought of before.

Auge states that if "a place can be defined as relational, historical and concerned with identity, then a space which cannot be defined as relational, or historical or concerned with identity will be a non-place." As we suggested in class, these areas would be like large lecture halls, shopping malls, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. So, I chose to view a restaurant.

What I found interesting, is that I never really noticed before that such a place could be a "non-place," but after sitting down and viewing it for awhile, it is quite obvious that it is. For example, no one really communicates with each other or other parties seated in the restaurant, although they are eating right next to each other (eating the same food and reading the same newspaper no less). Furthermore, you have no idea about an individual's history, why they are there, or if they're crazy or not and you're sitting right next to them! I find that so fascinating. I think this is why an airport terminal represents a non-place so well, because you have no idea if people are coming or going, etc.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Restaurants definitely provide a space that I agree with you, would represent a non-place most of the time. But does it for you? I know that some of the places I've worked that are just non-places for most people, like a dental office, was a place for me because of the friends I met there and the history the place had for me. Maybe you feel the same way with Charley's. What is Charley's anyhow, I've never been there.

keith said...

it is kind of weird that we know absolutely nothing about people we eat/sit/whatever right next to. in a way it represents a great amount of trust we have in others that they won't just stab thier forks into our necks or something psycho like that. which is good i suppose, but it's still kind of weird to think about how anti-social we all can be in certain places.

Staci said...

Hey Sam-
See, that's what was so interesting (and I probably should have put this in the original post, but I ran out of time). When I'm serving the customers and I'm behind the counter, it feels like a place to me. I've been there for over 3 years and have spent more time at that place than I have in any of the apartments that I've rented. But as soon as I get on the other side of the counter and order food myself and sit in the dining area, it truly feels like an actual non-place for me, I feel like and act like a regular customer, eating my food with indifference.
Also, it's a grilled sub place-pretty good actually. And it's open fri and sat until 3 am, so convenient as well...

Becky said...

I actually picked the airport for my non-place and noticed the same thing, peopole don't know what everyone else is doing. I also found it interesting that we don;t really know the people that we sit next to in resaurants. You would think that it would be a great place to make conversation, but then if you are already with a group you have the conversation.